CITY Deals in Victoria are a step closer following a Memorandum of Understanding being signed last week between the Commonwealth and Victorian governments.
The agreement paves the way to establish Victoria's first City Deal in Geelong, which will involve all three levels of government working with the private sector as part of the Commonwealth's Smart Cities Plan to grow jobs and boost investment.
A Geelong City Deal will help to deliver new jobs and enhance Victoria's second city through a number of projects, including:
- Improving road, rail, air and maritime transport links in the region;
- Revitalising the Geelong central business district (CBD);
- Ensuring the Great Ocean Road reaches its full potential;
- Supporting innovation and the growth of knowledge industries; and
- Positioning Geelong as a leading digital economy.
The proposed projects and initiatives developed as part of a Geelong City Deal will complement existing joint investments by the Commonwealth and Victorian governments, which include the $114 million Warrnambool Line upgrade and the $110 million first stage of the Surf Coast Rail project.
More information about City Deals is available from the Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet website at <https://cities.dpmc.gov.au/city-deals>.