THE Level Crossing Removal Authority last week announced that the removal of eight more level crossings on the Frankston line is a step closer, after CPB/Aurecon and Lendlease/Acciona/Coleman Rail/WSP were shortlisted for the first package of works in Carrum and Seaford.
The package includes:
- Seaford Road, Seaford level crossing removal;
- Mascot Avenue, Station Street and Eel Race Road, Carrum level crossing removals;
- New station at Carrum;
- Carrum train storage relocated to a purpose built facility near Kananook station to make way for new open space;
- New road-bridge over Patterson River connecting Station Street; and
- Rail systems and power upgrades.
The works package is expected to also significantly revitalise Carrum village, with improved access to the beach, a village square built around a new modern Carrum Station, plus significant new landscaping and open space.
The Seaford project also includes a $10 million package of works for significant new landscaping, walking and cycling paths and an upgrade to R.F. Miles Reserve for the local community and sports clubs.
The contract for this first package of works is expected to be awarded in December this year. The successful tenderer will then have the opportunity to deliver the remaining level crossing removals and station rebuilds at Cheltenham, Mentone, Edithvale and Bonbeach.
Works at Seaford Road and the Station Street bridge are due start in 2018.