More than 4,000 passengers a day will benefit from direct and safe access to Southland shopping centre with major construction beginning at Melbourne's newest train station, the Victorian Government has announced.
Works will begin with the construction of an underpass which connects the two platforms. The new station will include direct access from the shopping centre, bathrooms and ramp and stair access to both platforms.
Early works on the project were completed earlier this year, including the installation of track drainage and cabling works, as well as raising the tracks to provide a straight track for the station.
The station will include the following:
- Ramp and stair access to both platforms;
- A pedestrian underpass;
- Accessible public toilets;
- Seating and shelter on the platforms;
- CCTV cameras on both platforms;
- Passenger information displays; and
- Protective Services Officer (PSO) facilities.
Coleman Rail was awarded the construction contract in late July 2016, following a three-month tender process. Construction of the station is due to be completed by the end of 2017.