THE Victorian Government last week said its $25 million investment to revive the Ballarat Station precinct has taken another step forward, following the launch of the Expressions of Interest process.
Regional Development Minister Jaala Pulford opened the project for Expressions of Interest last Monday and invited interested parties to put forward their vision for the Station Precinct. Following assessments of submissions, a more detailed Request for Proposals will commence with interested parties in early 2016.
Ms Pulford said the project offers an exciting opportunity for experienced consortia to partner with the State Government to deliver a 4-star hotel and convention centre with supporting transport infrastructure and public spaces, while optimising a remediated and refurbished Heritage Goods Shed.
The proposed hotel and convention centre is expected to include over 100 hotel rooms, large flexible spaces for exhibitions and conventions, and a range of quality retail and dining offerings.
This significant redevelopment, which is estimated to be worth over $50 million, is expected to revitalise Ballarat's CBD into a commercial and cultural hub and act as a catalyst for ongoing investment opportunities and job creation.
The State Government has been working closely with the City of Ballarat and VicTrack to reach this Expression of Interest stage. Funding for the project is being provided through the government's $500 million Regional Jobs and Infrastructure Fund.