Monday, 28 July 2014
Written by Urbanalyst Staff    Tuesday, 05 June 2012 18:27    PDF Print
'High-rise' plans scrapped for Kew Cottages redevelopment
In the News - Victoria

MAJOR Projects Minister Denis Napthine last week announced that plans for 'high-rise' apartment blocks at the Kew Cottages site have been scrapped.

Initiated under the previous Labor Government in 2006, the $400 million Kew Cottages project comprises the redevelopment of the former Kew Residential Services site into a new residential neighbourhood.

Dr Napthine said that following extensive negotiations between developer Walker Corporation and the Victorian Coalition Government, the developer has cancelled its proposal for apartment blocks of up to five storeys at the site.

"The previous Labor Government made a complete mess of this development and failed to adequately consult with the local community. This resulted in many undesirable outcomes for the community, particularly the building of high rise apartment towers," Dr Napthine said.

"Kew residents, who have long campaigned against high rise apartments at this site, will be overjoyed by this result gained by the Coalition Government which will dramatically scale back the density of this development.

"Within the confines of the contract signed by the previous Labor Government, this is a great outcome that will reduce local traffic congestion and improve the amenity of the area," Dr Napthine said.

Walker Corporation will replace the apartment blocks with eight premium quality houses. The overall number of dwellings on the site has been reduced by 100 to approximately 280 as a result of this decision.

Dr Napthine said the developer will be submitting planning and heritage permit applications shortly and marketing will commence for the 3,240 square metre final stage of the project, located in the south-west corner of the site.

Share and save this article
 

Related Items