South Australia

Pedestrian-friendly boulevard planned for Port Adelaide

A NEW pedestrian-friendly boulevard to accommodate markets, performances and other community events will be created in Port Adelaide, with the South Australian Government providing $3.6 million to regenerate the Port.

Premier Jay Weatherill last week announced that the northern end of Commercial Road, between St Vincent Street and McLaren Parade, would be transformed as a first step towards the government's new plans to revitalise Port Adelaide.

Mr Weatherill said the government would ask the Port Adelaide Enfield Council to match the funding for the project, which was first proposed in a 2006 report by renowned urban planner Jan Gehl.

"Since the State Government announced in October that we would end the development agreement with Newport Quays, local residents and businesses have been telling us that they want to see real plans for the heart of the Port," Mr Weatherill said.

"Master planning for Port Adelaide will begin soon, but bringing new life to the heart of the Port is a crucial first step we can start now."

Mr Weatherill said the town square style project will be pedestrian friendly, bringing people into the Port centre and opening up the commercial centre to the waterfront.

The new precinct will provide a link between the commercial centre of Port Adelaide and the historic dock-side area and include upgraded pavements and roadways, public art installations, seating, water features and new architecturally-designed street lighting.

The government said it will consult local businesses about the plans during the design phase and also announced a public forum on January 23 to start consultation on the new masterplan for the Port Adelaide precinct.

Subscribe to our Weekly Newsletter

Newsletter Subscription - Banner

Urbanalyst Banner