SOUTH Australian Planning Minister John Rau last week announced the members of the new Capital City Design Review Panel, the next step in a range of planning reforms that aim to continue the revitalisation of Adelaide's CBD.
The government said that all city projects going through the pre-lodgement process wil be scrutinised by the independent panel headed by the South Australian Government Architect, Ben Hewett.
"By seeking the advice of the Capital Design Review Panel early in the process, design will remain at the forefront of development proposals in the Adelaide CBD," Mr Rau said.
"The panel will assist the Government Architect in providing advice to the Development Assessment Commission on the design merit of a project and its integration with the and its integration with the surrounding area."
Government Architect Ben Hewett, who leads the Office for Architecture and Design, said the Panel will offer independent advice from conceptual design proposals, through to thelodgement and subsequent decision by the DAC.
"Projects going through a design review process as part of the Department of Planning, Transport and Infrastructure pre-lodgement process should be in a position to have a decision from the DAC within ten to twenty days of lodgement," he said.
"The result is a streamlined, collaborative assessment process that identifies, investigates and resolves land-use planning and design issues upfront."
The members of the Capital City Design Review Panel are:
- Megan Antcliff, Project Director at the Department of Manufacturing, Innovation, Trade, Resources and Energy
- Lu Balsamo, Architect and urban designer
- Daniel Bennett, Landscape architect and urban designer, founder of DJB_LA
- Dr. Catherin Bull, Emeritus Professor of Landscape Architecture at the University of Melbourne and Adjunct Professor at QUT
- Tanya Court, Landscape architect
- John Denton, Architect and director of Denton Corker Marshall
- Mariano De Duonni, Architect , managing principal of HASSELL
- Matt Davis, Architect, director of Davis & Davis Architects
- Peter Dungey, Architect and urban designer
- Mads Gaardboe, Professor of Architecture at the University of South Australia
- Stuart Harrison, Architect and director of Harrison and White Architects (HAW
- James Hayter, Landscape architect , founder of Oxigen
- Michael Hegarty, Principal Architect and Manager at GHD
- Gavin Kain, Architect and Urban Planner Woods Bagot
- John Maitland, Architect and principal of Energy Architecture
- Simon McPherson, Urban Designer and architect, Managing Director of SJB Urban
- John Morphett, Architect
- Peter Mould, Architect
- Bob Nation, Architect
- Shelley Penn, Architect
- Susan Phillips, Architect and founding partner of Phillips/Pilkington Architects
- Andrew Russell, Architect and Manager, Environment and Advisory at Aurecon
- Jason Schulz, Architect, director of DASH Architects
- Siobhan Toohill, Architect and Principal at Pure and Applied
- Nick Tridente, Architect and principal designer at Tridente Architects
More information about the Capital City Design Review Panel is available from the Department of Planning, Transport and Infrastructure website at <http://www.dpti.sa.gov.au/vibrantadelaide> or the Integrated Design Commission SA website at <http://www.integrateddesign.sa.gov.au/>.