THE Queensland Government has released its list of projects submitted to Infrastructure Australia to be considered for federal funding in 2011, with the Cross River Rail project at the top of the list.
Announcing Queensland's list of projects for potential Federal Government funding in 2011, Premier Anna Bligh said Cross River Rail met Infrastructure Australia's key goal of funding projects that could build national productivity and transform cities.
Ms Bligh said the project was one of a number that would benefit the entire state and Australia as a whole. Other projects submitted include the Eastern Busway, the Abbot Point Multi-Purpose Cargo Facility and the Mount Isa to Townsville High Voltage Electricity Transmission Line (CopperString Project).
"By 2026, South East Queensland will be home to one in seven Australians, and we need to ensure that key pieces of infrastructure are planned for now," Ms Bligh said.
"Cross River Rail is Queensland's highest priority for consideration for Australian Government funding. It's a project of national significance and will make Queensland a more internationally competitive place."
The $8 billion Cross River Rail project involves a new north-south rail line in Brisbane's inner city, including a new tunnel under the Brisbane River and four underground inner-city rail stations.
Infrastructure Australia was established by the Australian Government in April 2008 to review and advise on infrastructure reform and investment initiatives of national significance.
Successful requests for Infrastructure Australia funding will be announced mid-next year.
The full project list submitted by the Queensland Government is as follows:
Queensland Government submission - priority projects
- Cross River Rail
- Eastern Busway
Private sector and national submissions of significance to Queensland
- Abbot Point Multi-Purpose Cargo Facility
- Mount Isa to Townsville High Voltage Electricity Transmission Line (CopperString Project)
- National Managed Motorways
- Infrastructure to Support Indigenous Communities
Queensland Government submission - projects for inclusion in the Pipeline
- Toowoomba Second Range Crossing
- Freight Connections to State Development Areas
- Warrego Highway Upgrade Program (Helidon - Morven) - Stage 1
- Gateway Motorway Upgrade North (Nudgee Road - Bruce Highway)
Other Queensland projects in the Pipeline
- Bruce Highway Corridor Upgrades
- Pacific Motorway Upgrades
- Port of Brisbane Motorway
- Gold Coast Heavy Rail Capacity Upgrades and Extension to Elanora
- Mount Isa to Townsville Rail Corridor (Plus Eastern Access Corridor)
- Darra to Springfield Rail and Road Project
- Moreton Bay Rail