FEDERAL Infrastructure and Transport Minister Anthony Albanese last week said that according to the National Infrastructure Construction Schedule (NICS), more than $1 billion in infrastructure projects has been added to Australia's investment pipeline in just three months.
The NICS, which was launched by the Australian Government in May, provides the infrastructure sector with a database of all known and forecast infrastructure investment by all three levels of government.
The Minister said 14 new major projects valued at $50 million or more have been added to the NICS since May.
"The NICS has effectively replaced the countless number of websites and newspapers that builders, investors and infrastructure providers used to rely on for new contract and investment opportunities," Mr Albanese said.
"This is information that is high in demand with the website already registering more than 800,000 hits both locally and overseas.
"To make it even easier for the sector to use the NICS, an RSS feed has been added ensuring that regular visitors are alerted as soon as new projects are added to our infrastructure pipeline," Mr Albanese said.
The Minister said that over time, it is expected that the NICS will open up and attract more participants into the sector, increasing competition and ultimately taxpayers' value for money.
The 14 new projects added to the NICS:
- Banksia Grove Senior High School Stage 1 (WA)
- Glenunga International High School (SA)
- Goodwood and Torrens Upgrade (SA)
- IWSS Perth GWR Stage 2—14 GL/year (CW02787) (WA)
- Mandurah Gordon Road WWTP 12-16 ML/day Upgrde (CS01406) (WA)
- Modbury Hospital Redevelopment (SA)
- Mount Gambier Health Service (SA)
- Nelson Bay Road, Bobs Farm to Anna Bay Stage 3 (NSW)
- Pacific Highway—Nambucca Heads to Urunga (NSW)
- Port Lincoln Health Service Redevelopment (NSW)
- Subiaco WWTP Secondary Treatment to 75 ML/day (CS01100) (WA)
- Thomsons Reservoir Pond 2 & Roof (CW00172) (WA)
- West Pilbara Cape Lambert Main Extension Upgrade (CW01569) (WA)
- Woodman Pt WWTP Sludge Upgde 180-240ML/day. (CS02130) (WA)
In total, 70 projects with a combined value of $57 billion are listed on the National Infrastructure Construction Schedule (NICS), which is available at <http://www.nics.gov.au/>.