Australia

Australia's population grows 1.4 per cent in 2011

AUSTRALIA'S annual population growth rate was 1.4 per cent for the year ending 31 December 2011, according to figures released this week by the Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS).

Over the same period, Australia's population increased by 302,600 people to 22.5 million (22,485,300) people. Net overseas migration accounted for 55 per cent of the growth for the year ending December 2011, with the remaining 45 per cent due to natural increase (births minus deaths).

Net overseas migration increased to the end of December 2011. The preliminary net overseas migration estimate for the year ending December 2011 (184,000 people) was 9 per cent (or 15,100) higher than that for December 2010 (168,800 people).

Based on preliminary figures, there were 296,700 births registered in the year ending December 2011, 2.5 per cent (or 7,200) more than the previous year (289,500). The number of deaths registered over the same period was 147,000, 2.5 per cent (or 3,600) more than the previous year (143,400).

According to the figures, population growth in Western Australia far outpaced other states and territories, with the state recording growth of 2.9 per cent in 2011 (increasing by over 67,000 to approximately 2.39 million).

The ACT recorded a growth rate of 1.8 per cent in 2011 (with the population increasing by 6,500 and totalling 370,700), followed by 1.5 per cent in Queensland (66,500 / 4.51 million), 1.4 per cent in Victoria (75,400 / 5.57 million), 1.0 per cent in NSW (71,000 / 7.25 million), 0.8 per cent in NT (1,800 / 232,400) 0.7 per cent in SA (11,800 / 1.645 million) and 0.4 per cent in Tasmania (2,000 / 511,700).

The population estimates were derived from the 2011 Census counts and other ABS sources and include Australian residents temporarily overseas on Census Night plus an estimate of people not counted on Census Night. They exclude temporary overseas visitors in Australia.

The ABS also released figures adjusting its estimate of Australia's population for 30 June 2011 from approximately 22.6 million people to just over 22.3 million.

Based on their findings, on June 30 last year, there were 106,000 fewer Queensland residents than previously reported, 91,000 fewer residents in NSW, 87,000 less residents in Victoria and 18,000 less residents in SA. Slightly more people than expected were living in WA (2,900), ACT (2,100), NT (1,000) and Tasmania (700).

The ABS also this week released 2011 Census data, available from the Australian Bureau of Statistics' Census website at <http://www.abs.gov.au/census>.

Subscribe to our Weekly Newsletter

Newsletter Subscription - Banner

Urbanalyst Banner